REMEMBERING MY DEAREST 'LOU MA JI'

(Madam Leong Shook Yin. Departed 04.08.2008)
Lou Ma Ji’ was our favourite cheeky term of endearment for my Mum.
A Cantonese word translated loosely as ‘old mother’, it was a term she found most amusing.

Well-meaning friends consoled by saying, “your Mum is already 89, she had lived long and happy, you should be glad for her.” But then, when it comes to our mums, there is no such thing as ‘old enough’. “Mothers should not die; they should just go for holiday.” These words, spoken by a friend, captured so truly what those of us who have lost a loved ones wished – that the loss was only temporary and then all will be well again. But alas, it was not to be ….

The most difficult part in letting go of Mum was her cheerfulness, her constant laughter and great sense of humour which were such a constant part of our life.

A gutsy woman who brought up her 10 children almost single-handedly on a meagre income, she never complained about the hard life she had to endure but instead always found something to laugh about. Her infectious laughter and chuckles can never be far away when she was around.

Her life revolved around only one thing – her children. Everything she did had always been for, and because of, her children. Until the very last moment of her life, her only thought was still ‘ng moi mar fun nei dei’ (don’t want to inconvenience you all).

Although a woman of strong principles, she never imposed any of her principles on us or insisted on how we behaved when we were growing up. Instead, her actions taught us better than words. She was an exemplary example of ‘action speaks louder than words’.

Her humility (she called everybody ‘Ah Cheh’ (big sister) or ‘Ah Ko’ (big brother) no matter how young or whatever status they were), endeared her to many back in our hometown and from that we learned our manners in addressing others.

Her compassion to others had taught us to be more thoughtful about other people’s feeling other than our own. Despite the limited food we had on our table, she will still offer food if there was any to spare to the needy. Although living on limited income and sometimes borrowed money, she would still find a few cents to give to any beggar she came across.

She brought us up happy and cheerful despite what we lacked in material needs. Her cheerfulness, wit and ability to laugh at herself taught us that being poor was not something to be ashamed of, or sad about, but to face life challenges with optimism and confidence.

Her love for us was immeasurable. When we were growing up, chicken on the table was a rare occasion and only during Chinese New Year. During these occasions, she will always says she doesn’t like any other parts except the ‘bishop’s nose’ and neck. Because we were young then, we believed her, but we knew now that she was actually keeping the best for us.

"I’m not hungry, you all eat first" were words she frequently used during times when there were not enough food for all on the table. She would let us had our fill. At night, when we were asleep, she would scrapped whatever was left at the bottom of the rice pot, cleaned off the burnt part of the rice and add water to whatever she could salvage. Together with whatever veggie we left behind, if any, that would be her dinner for the day.

The only luxury she accorded herself was going to the movies (and she loved the movies!), but even then her tickets were always paid for by a wonderful and dear friend, who knew and admired Mum’s resilience in bringing us up.

She hardly spent anything on herself. Even after we grew up and able to fend for ourselves and give her monthly allowances, she will hardly use the money, preferring to save it for a rainy day in case any of her children were in need.

During every Mother’s Day when I read in the papers of somebody’s mum winning the Mother of the Year Award, I had always wished that it had been my Mum in there. I know she was more than deserving of the award and yet I’ve never had the confidence to submit an entry to the newspaper. How I wished I had made an effort then and showed her how much she meant to us.

My constant regret is that I never told Mum how much we appreciated her because I refused to believe that one day she will leave us, even until the last moment. After all, she always said she wanted to live to a 100. So, Mum, you have always been such a strong woman, why did you give up?

It may be too late now, but I still want to say to Mum:

Thank you for taking care of me in the middle of the night on the many occasions when I had nose bleeding and you had to wake up to pluck hibiscus leaves to stuff up my nose to stop the bleeding and wet towel to cool my forehead (yes, that’s Mum’s remedy for nose-bleeding! :-))

Thank you for carrying me, even when I was 8 or 9 yrs old, all the way into town in the middle of the night whenever I had tonsillitis and high fever, which were quite often - banging on the doctor’s door, insisting that he checked on me. (Although we were poor, when we were sick, Mum will always take us to see a family doctor and not the local hospital even if she had to borrow money because, to her, her children deserved the best.)

Thank you for shielding us from the hardship that you faced.

Thank you for always putting us first and yourself second.

Thank you for being my wonderful Mum.
I will always miss you.

VL
04-08-2009

14 comments:

  1. All you said is 100% correct. Po Po was the best. She will teach me funny old poems that no one else knew.She would play with my phone altough she didn't know how.She loved going shoping eventhough she was on the wheelchair. She was the BEST! No one can be better than my Po Po

    ReplyDelete
  2. It brought tears to my eyes when i just started reading the 1st 2 sentences of the post. I thought i would be Ok.. but up til now.. I don't know why, but i still miss my che poh ALOT!... i tell myself she's just away for a holiday and i'm going to see her again during our next family gathering...

    To add on to aunty's comments, che poh is a very caring lady. She's one of the best granny anyone can ask for. I still rememeber at age 7, her bringing me out to cinemas and the morning market whenever i drop by on saturdays. It was always fun! i get to choose my favourite snacks from the cinema stalls and watch movies in Ruby cinema!

    We brought her to TGV a few times, for Jackie Chan & Jet Li movies! She enjoys it alot, and never complained when we had to shift her around from the car to the wheelchair (sometimes uncomfortably bumping her). Its just a pleasure watching her laugh with her toothless smile. Not bad, she's 80 plus and she's been to a Dolby digital cinema!

    During Lantern festivals, Paramount Garden's kedai runcit will be selling all the beautiful hand made lanterns (the ones using candles :P). Che Poh will surely buy me one... sometimes 2! my favourite was always goldfish!! And che poh used to keep a tiny aquarium at home, to amuse all her granchildren. Although they kept dying (cuz we over feed them!) she just kept buyin!

    She's never stingy with buying me things... even until i grow up. My ang pow will always be "bigger"! hehehee...

    I will always remember Che Poh love helping out around our house whenever she come stay with us, despite having problem with her walking & standing she insists on helping us cook meals, dry the laundry & scrub the black kettle of ours back to shining silver! :)

    There's no stopping my hardworking & caring grandma, not even her age!

    We miss her alot.. and i agree... mothers just go on Holidays! We never have to lost them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is posted on behalf of my bro-in-law, Mr Kong, who responded via my Facebook: "Wow! I'm blown,I'm touched and I'm closed to tears reading thru yr memorial dedication of great poignancy and beauty. Regrettably,I had not said it during the twenty-two yrs of our in-law liaison. I'm shameful,remorseful and I want to say it respectfully now,"LOU MA JI".Yes she was the greatest..and you had been most filial and loving."

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOO TOUCHING!!!!! i can read this over n over n over again witout failin to tear everytime..
    i din really know 'che poh' was so so power last time..

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true to your very last word about our amazing 'lou ma ji'. Am indeed grateful being reminded about her great deeds and sacrificies which we sometimes took for granted due to our commitments and busy lives with our very own families. However I never forget the great and fond memories of my childhood with this very great and wonderful soul I called 'lou ma ji'. One such good memories was her dislike of grey hair - typical female gender. She would offered 'handsome' incentive of 5 cents for every 100 strands of white hair pulled from her head. Being kids, we found this job tedious but, yet when I needed some pocket money, I would willingly and eagerly volunteered earning 20 - 25cts. easily with a few hundred strands. She would put on a pair of black trousers, sat on the bedroom floor, lent against the door with one knee up for me to display the white hair pulled and comfortably dozed on and off with my loud counting of 1 to 100 with every pull, occasionally opening her heavy eyes to check on her knee that there was only white and no
    black. Honestly, I never cheated her. Many years later when hair dye was invented, she loved and dyed her hair well into her early eighties even when in old carehome. She somehow managed to sneaked some in and made a mess with her sleeping place until the annoyed home caretaker confiscated them. I could still remember her sad and disappointed face but, somehow managed to convince her that she in fact looked wiser and better with white silver hair matching her age. Oh, she liked sewing and was a great tailor too! Came every chinese new year, she would buy yards of a same cloth to make 3 dresses for me, Carol and Heng meticulously designing them differently with one with a left pocket and another with 2 pockets or one with 2 buttons and the other with 3 and so forth. It was amazing how she never ran out of designs. Even when she was in her seventies, she would happily and voluntarily sew many cushion covers, Kit's baby bolster and pillow covers and brought them to me whenever she came by for a short stay. In fact there were so many that I stored away in an old wardrobe that were forgotten until not long ago when I was moving to our new house that I discovered them again. A sense of guilt prevailed when I had to give them away because I had no need for them anymore. Even now when I recall this, the guilt hurts after all, they were her good and caring efforts. Sorry 'lou ma ji'.

    Even when in old carehome, we would sometimes cut off a sleeve from one of her blouses and then stitched them back onto another or removing buttons from one and stitching them on another. She just loved sewing until again, needles and scissors were confiscated because she sometimes lost and misplaced them around unintentionally hurting other old folks there. Poor Mom.

    Last but not least, was the good memory of going to movie with her with a sponsored 65 cents ticket, a privilege of being one of her 4 youngest children. A privilege that our older siblings did not have. The 4 of us would be paired into 2s, each pair taking turn to follow her. My little bottom wedged between 2 seats, most of the time uncomfortable with the hard ends and arm rest poking my back. However, I always enjoyed every minute of the movie and would go back home a happy child looking forward to the next one. Happy memories indeed! I could go on and on and on.

    I shall always treasure and remember these good sweet memories until the day I see 'lou ma ji' in heaven! Love U always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...another poignant revelation equally touching and very nostalgic. Everybody has such sweet and fond memories of the great 'LOU MA JI'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keng, yes, yes, hahaha, I remember the pulling of white hair, too! U and Carol were the 'shrewd' ones, always hogging her head! That's Mum way of making sure we earn our keeps, even if it is just 5 cents - no free handouts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anonymous, may I know who are you? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you got my tears rolling down my cheek reading about your mum...reminds me so much of my dad...never told him - how much we love him..cause i thought he is going to be there forever for us..
    Aananthi 70!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this post reminds me of how Poh Poh used to stay with us and she would accompany me to do coloring when i was still a small little kid. She also used to help me stich my soft toys if they tore. I feel that i was....i would dare to use the word 'lucky' that i was still in Malaysia when she passed on. I had the chance to see her once more. I will remember her the way i last saw her which was her last Chinese New Year with us. I love you Poh Poh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'Lou Ma Ji'i miss n love u very very much!This words i have wanted to cry out loud to u the moment i was informed of your demised.Becos of male ego,i have since buried these words deep in my heart.My only regret was not able to take care of her and to let her fully enjoy and grow old gracefully which she most deserved.Lou Ma Ji,I WILL MISS U FOREVER!!!Lunar calender on the 4th of the seventh month 2009 is mum's 1st anniversary.May God bless her wonderful soul.To all my siblings,LOU MA JI is always there in our hearts.She has only boarded another BUS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest VL

    Like I mentioned and wishes if all these amazing mothers are not allowed to leave their loved ones but just go for a long holiday somewhere - I know it makes no sense but it really hurts when there are so much unsaid and undone until it is too late! I always tell myself that I will have to tell my mother that I love her and appreciate all she is doing for us but everytime when I see her, those words seems really hard to come out. Any suggestion to get that blockage out of the throat and just tell her " I LOVE YOU, MUM!"?

    ST

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sharleen, that's the problem with us Asians for not being brought up to be demonstrative. Get your mum to read this posting, too, and then she can see your comments and know how you feel about her. I'm sure she'll love you all the more for this.

    ReplyDelete